So simple to make, these Christmas Sugar Cut-Out Cookies are both gluten free & vegan!
These cookies are flavored lightly with almond extract, top with a easy "butter"cream and decorate to your hearts content!
Christmas Sugar Cut-Out Cookies (Vegan + Gluten Free)
Recipe Source: Minimalist Baker
- 1 3/4 cup gluten free 1:1 baking flour, plus more for rolling
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (I used organic butter flavored coconut oil)
- 1/2 cup vegan-made white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan-made light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pure pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups vegan-made powdered sugar
- 1 stick vegan butter (I used Earth Balance)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
Preheat the oven to 350 F and lightly grease or line a large baking sheet.
Shift the flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl. Set aside.
Cream together the coconut oil and sugars in a large bowl with a mixer. Add the vanilla, almond, and pumpkin puree and beat to combine.
Add the dry ingredients into the wet and beat to combine. If the mixture is dry, add milk as needed.
Lightly dust the counter and rolling pin with flour. Roll the dough, working in two batches if desired, into a large sheet, about 1/4" thick.
Cut the cookies out and lay on the sheet pan. Freeze until solid, about 10 to 15 minutes. Bake for 7 to 9 minutes, or until very lightly browned. Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Continue to cut, freeze, and bake until there is no more dough.
For the frosting, add the butter to a bowl and beat with a mixer
until fluffy. Add the sugar and milk and beat until combined. Add the vanilla and combine.
Frost and decorate cookies as desired!