For a quick and cheap weeknight dinner, these Beer Steamed Mussels are the way to go.
Use the freshest mussels you can find. I prefer Prince Edward Island mussels but whatever you find that are fresh are great.
Beer Steamed Mussels
- 1 pound mussels, de-bearded and rinsed (discard any mussels that are not closed)
- 1 (12 oz) bottle light beer
- 1 onion, diced
- 1/2 lemon, sliced & seeds removed
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & pepper, to taste
- seafood seasoning, to taste
- bread, for serving
Heat a large saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter and allow to melt. Add the onions, garlic, lemon slices and season with salt and pepper. Cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Remove and discard lemon slices.
Add the beer, hot sauce, and worcestershire sauce. Season with seafood seasoning. Bring to a simmer and add the mussels. Cover and simmer until all the mussels open, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the mussels and place in a serving bowl. Bring the sauce to a boil and add the remaining butter and parsley. As soon as the butter is melted and incorporated, pour the sauce over the mussels. Serve with bread and enjoy!