Meatless "meatballs" have never tasted so good!
Inspired by Skinnytaste
- 2 1/4 cups grated zucchini (about 3 medium)
- 1 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- 1 heaping teaspoon dried minced onions
- salt & pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- olive oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce
Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease a sheet pan with olive oil and set aside.
Heat a large skillet over high heat. Add a scant tablespoon of oil to the pan. When hot, add the grated zucchini and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes, or until the water of the zucchini evaporates. In the last 30 seconds, add the garlic and cook until fragrant. Remove the zucchini mixture from the skillet to a sieve colander. Using a large spoon, press the zucchini in the sieve to drain any water that remains. Set aside and allow to cool slightly.
In a large bowl, add the panko, parmesan, egg, basil, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Stir in the zucchini until well combined.
Form the mixture into balls by the tablespoon. Place on the prepared sheet pan and drizzle lightly, over the top of the meatballs, with about a half tablespoon olive oil. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned.