Quick and easy, this Stove Top Mac & Cheese only needs five ingredients!
- 1 (16 oz) box elbow macaroni pasta
- 2 1/2 cups milk (I used skim)
- 2 cups freshly shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- salt & pepper to taste
- small pinch nutmeg and dried mustard (optional)
Bring a large pot of water up to a boil. Cook the pasta as desired. Drain.
Add the butter to a saucepan and melt over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk until smooth. Cook until thickened, about 3 minutes. Turn off the heat and slowly whisk in the cheese until smooth. Season with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and dried mustard.
Stir the hot, cooked pasta with the sauce. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Serve & enjoy!