Simply made, Our House Salad is perfect to go with any entree!
This salad is lovenly known as Our House Salad. It's the salad we have with lots of our dinners. It's all of our favorite ingredients put together in salad with a delicious and easy vinaigrette. It's simplicity is what's the best about it. I keep these ingredients on hand anyways so it's easy to whip up and enjoy.
For your family, just add in what you all love. Olives, cheddar, sunflower seeds... Use whatever lettuce your family most enjoys. For us, we enjoy those petite heads of lettuce. The flavor is superb and the texture is perfectly tender. I generally use two or three heads for this salad.
*For the croutons, I take two or three slices of bread and tear them into bite size pieces. Then coat them in a little olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put in a skillet and turn the heat to low. Toast for about 10 to 15 minutes, or until crunchy and browned. Store-bought croutons are also a good option. I can usually find good ones in the bakery section at my local supermarket.
Our House Salad
Serves 2 to 4
Serves 2 to 4
- 2 to 3 petite heads of lettuce (or any lettuce you like)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, peeled, & diced
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved if desired
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cup croutons*
- heaping 1/4 cup sliced banana peppers, drained
- heaping 1/4 cup asiago or parmesan shavings
- vinaigrette, recipe below
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 garlic clove
- salt & coarse freshly ground pepper
Peel the leaves off of the heads of lettuce and tear into pieces. Wash & spin dry completely. Add to a large bowl along with the avocado, cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, and banana peppers. Toss to combine. Set aside.
Very carefully, smash the garlic with a flat mallet or knife. Add the clove to a jar along with the vinegars, oil, honey, salt, and pepper. Screw a lid on tightly and shake the jar until the dressing is combined and the honey is dissolved. Discard the garlic clove.
Dress the salad as desired and toss to coat. Sprinkle with croutons and asiago. Serve and enjoy!