Easy to make, this Sweet & Sour Chicken is healthier than take out!
*When frying the chicken, put the skillet on the back burner to protect your kiddos, yourself, and pets from splatters!
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Recipe Source: Mel's Kitchen Cafe
- 3 to 4 chicken breasts, diced 1" pieces
- 2 to 3 eggs (I used 3 eggs)
- 1 cup cornstarch
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup oil (I used 1/3 cup)
- sweet & sour sauce, recipe below
- sliced green onions, as desired
- sesame seeds, as desired
Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup white granulated sugar (I used 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 4 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
Preheat oven to 325 F
In a bowl or large-sealable bag, combine cornstarch, salt, and pepper. Add chicken pieces and toss or shake to combine. In a pie plate, add eggs and whisk together. Set aside.
*Heat oil in skillet until hot and rippling, over medium high.
Dip cornstarch coated chicken in whisked egg then add chicken pieces in one layer in the hot oil (you will need to do several batches). Cook 20 to 30 seconds on each side, until lightly browned. After crisped, put chicken pieces in a 9x13 baking dish. Keep frying until all chicken is crisped.