This Glazed Olive Oil Almond Poppy Seed Cake is easy to make and great for brunch or dessert!
This cake could also be called a quick bread. I think it's perfect for Easter brunch because of the almond and orange flavors. Of course, poppy seeds are perfect for spring time too in general.
I used a almond emulsion instead of extract because I always have it on hand. The ratio is 1:1 so just use what you have in your pantry. Be sure to grease and flour your pan very very well because the cake can stick. Also I used regular olive oil as extra virgin olive oil can overpower the other flavors.
Glazed Olive Oil Almond Poppy Seed Cake
Makes one bundt cake or two loaf pans
Adapted from Mel's Kitchen Cafe
Olive Oil Almond Poppy Seed Cake
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used unsweetened, unflavored almond milk)
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Orange Glaze, recipe below
- 3/4 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350 F
In a large bowl, whisk eggs, sugar, and oil until combined and fluffy. Whisk in poppy seeds, milk, vanilla extract, and almond extract.
In another bowl, medium sized, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt.
Pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture. Stir to combine.
Heavily grease and flour a bundt pan or two loaf pans. Pour in cake batter and smooth the top. Bake 60 to 70 minutes for the bundt or 50 to 60 minutes for the loaf pans, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
While cake is baking, whisk together glaze mixture until combined.