One of the easiest dinners to make, this Chicken Tortilla Soup is a crowd pleaser!
The only thing better than chicken tortilla soup is the toppings you put on chicken tortilla soup. Fried tortilla strips, greek yogurt, and cheese are just a few options for toppings.
This soup is very easy to put together - only takes about 30 minutes. It's thick and hearty. If your family prefers thinner soup, add in a extra cup or two of chicken stock.
This would be a great way to use up leftover turkey!
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 10 oz tomatoes and green chilies
- 3 oz tomato paste
- 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons chili or taco seasoning (I use this recipe), or to taste
- 2 large bell peppers, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt, to taste
- 3-5 corn tortillas, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- toppings (avocado, greek yogurt, fried tortilla strips, cheese...)
In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion, bell peppers, and garlic. Season with chili seasoning and cook until soft.
Stir in chicken, chicken stock, corn, tomato paste, and tomatoes and green chilies. Simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in tortilla pieces and simmer 20 minutes, or until thickened. Season to taste with salt.
Top with toppings and serve.